Monday, May 26, 2014

To title now or later.. that is the question...


What can I say? Procrastination is my biggest struggle as a writer/creator. 
More often than not, I sit down to write, put on my headphones with my favorite get-in-the-mood music blasting, only to be sucked in by Facebook or videos or general aimless-nothing. I am very easily distracted. There are times when writing comes easily. Quite honestly it can be as natural to me as breathing. I love to do it but more than that, it becomes a natural response to my brain's thought process. I think something and I have to write it down. I've been like this for as long as I can remember. 
There are also many other times when I have to chide myself and force my fingers to type or my pencil to write. This generally happens when I'm exhausted (I'm a mother after all...) or when my brain is so full of other cares and concerns (even as basic as the dishes are staring at me...) that I can't seem to focus in. 
One way or another, creativity is a hard career. It requires of you an extreme level of discipline, especially if you are self-employed. And procrastination partnered with distractions is the biggest roadblock. It becomes a habit after a while. You allow yourself to slip once and it becomes twice, three times, ect. Eventually you are staring at your self-made deadline, your palm pressed into your forehead, wondering how you will manage to meet it without completely flopping the entire project. 
Especially if you have an audience anticipating your work, you MUST discipline your time. Otherwise you are giving anxious fans a product of half-effort.. and they'll know. 
Always in love,
L


1 comment:

  1. So true!! That reminds me...I needed to send Jess Grammy's phone # two days ago.

    ReplyDelete